DENVER – This Thursday, ACLU of Colorado will host its annual event, Toward Liberty: Celebrating 70 Years of Action, (formerly known as the Bill of Rights event) at the Ritz-Carlton, Denver. ACLU of Colorado will be marking 70 years as the state's oldest and largest civil rights organization. This year’s program honors Colorado leaders who are making a profound and lasting impact across our state and commemorates civil rights and civil liberties successes. Simone D. Ross, CEO of the Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce, will be hosting the annual event.
“Since 1952, ACLU of Colorado has remained steadfast as the guardian of liberty in advancing and defending civil rights for all Coloradans. This week, we will celebrate 70 years as the state's oldest and largest civil rights organization,” said ACLU of Colorado Executive Director Deborah Richardson. “We know that it was community members, organizational partners, and leaders whose work and support were the backbone of the victories on behalf of all Coloradans.”
2022 Honorees include:
- The Harm Reduction Action Center, receiving the Ralph L. Carr Award in recognition of its tireless work educating, empowering, and advocating for the health, dignity and safety of Denver’s community members living with substance use.
- Elizabeth Wang of Loevy & Loevy and Timothy Macdonald, Matthew Douglas, Diana Sterk, Ed Aro, and the Arnold & Porter trial team, receiving the Edward Sherman Award for their outstanding legal work protecting the constitutional rights of plaintiffs subjected to police brutality during peaceful protests following the murder of George Floyd.
- Retired attorney Dan Recht, receiving the Martha Radetsky Award for his enduring dedication to the ACLU of Colorado as both its former Board of Directors Chair and Legal Panel Chair.
- Local journalist, Vic Vela, receiving the Larry Tajiri Media Award for his acclaimed podcast, Back from Broken and more than 20 years covering government and politics in Colorado.
- Senator Pete Lee, receiving the Carle Whitehead Memorial Award for his transformative work in criminal legal reform and restorative justice efforts.
All funds raised by the event will provide crucial support to sustain and expand ACLU of Colorado’s legal, communication, and education work throughout Colorado.
Toward Liberty: Celebrating 70 Years of Action
The Ritz-Carlton, Denver
1881 Curtis Street
Denver, CO 80202
Thursday, September 29, 2022, at 6 p.m. MT
Keynote Speaker: Deborah Richardson, ACLU of Colorado Executive Director
Event MC: Simone D. Ross
Special musical performance by Take Note! Denver Women’s Chorus Ensemble
Presenting Sponsors include:
- Anna Centron, LIV Sotheby’s International Realty
- GoJo Auto
- Rocky Mountain Health Plans: A United Healthcare Company
More information on our website at: https://www.aclu-co.org/en/events/toward-liberty-celebrating-70-years-ac...
Please contact Deanna Hirsch, Acting Director of Philanthropy, at (720) 402-3122 or [email protected] with any questions.